Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:36:21 — 39.5MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Email | RSS | More
Imagine posting to your favorite social network, the one you want your brand to be associated with, and having it appear for all of your followers in the social networks of their choice. It could be possible if the ActivityPub standard continues to spread the way it has been lately. And that could be an important evolution given the meltdown that Twitter is undergoing. Those are just two of the stories in the April long-form edition of the “For Immediate Release” podcast. Also in this episode…
- The “have a go” era of podcasting could be coming to an end, depending on how you interpret the data
- LinkedIn is going through some changes that not everyone likes
- A coalition of 500-plus ad agencies is taking a stand against fossil fuels
- A song reportedly produced using AI imitated the voices of some A-list artists, and the music industry isn’t happy
- Dan York reports on the demise of Spotify Live, some Twitter news, Wikipedia’s one-minute video, and more
The next monthly, long-form episode of FIR will drop on Monday, May 22.
We host a Communicators Zoom Chat each Thursday at 1 p.m. ET. For credentials needed to participate, contact Shel or Neville directly, request the credentials in our Facebook group, or email email@example.com.
Special thanks to Jay Moonah for the opening and closing music.
You can find the stories from which Shel’s FIR content is selected at Shel’s Link Blog. Shel has started a metaverse-focused Flipboard magazine. Neville’s Asides blog is also available.
Link from this report:
- Making ActivityPub Your Social Media Hub for Mastodon and Other Decentralized Services
- Automattic acquires ActivityPub Plugin
- Tumblr to add support for ActivityPub, the social protocol powering Mastodon and other apps
- Decentralized Social Media Rises as Twitter Melts Down Mastodon is just the start—here comes the Fediverse
- A Creator of ActivityPub on What’s Next for the Fediverse
- The Future of Social Media Is a Lot Less Social
- About profile labels and checkmarks on Twitter
- Sweden’s Public Radio Ceases Activities on Twitter
- An A.I. Hit of Fake ‘Drake’ and ‘The Weeknd’ Rattles the Music World
- The Music Business Will Never Learn
Links from Dan York’s Report
- Another social audio company bites the dust – Spotify shuts down Spotify Live
- The legacy blue checkmarks are finally going… unless of course Elon pays for them to keep the illusion that celebrities pay for Twitter Blue
- Twitter shuts down the automation that enabled the National Weather Service and many other public service accounts
- Wikimedia has a sound logo
- Wikipedia’s one-minute videos
Sallie Goetsch (rhymes with sketch) says
Activity Pub for WordPress is still in an early enough beta state that there are no screenshots of how the setup works. I would expect it to work something like the way Jetpack Social (formerly known as Publicize) does: you connect to and authorize the accounts where you want to share, and then the plugin shares the post excerpt and featured image and a link to read more.