Pundits are proclaiming social media dead (or dying), and they have data to back up their beliefs. If it’s true, what does it mean — for society, for networking, and for business? Neville and Shel examine the evidence and trends and discuss the implications at the 7:03 mark of the monthly long-form episode for November. Also in this episode:
- ChatGPT pauses new signups and other news (32:25)
- A look at ChatGPT’s GPT Builder (38:57)
- The state of news on social media (1:00:42)
- Generative AI and journalism (1:12:54)
- A high-profile executive’s fake Twitter accounts (1:17:07)
- In his Tech Report, Dan York talks about Twitter’s woes, WhatsApp news, Automattic backing off Tumblr growth, and the Cambridge Dictionary’s word of the year (51:28)
Join our Discord! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for an invite.
The next monthly, long-form episode of FIR will drop on Monday, November 20.
We host a Communicators Zoom Chat each Thursday at 1 p.m. ET. For credentials needed to participate, contact Shel or Neville directly, request the credentials in our Facebook group, or email email@example.com.
Special thanks to Jay Moonah for the opening and closing music.
You can find the stories from which Shel’s FIR content is selected at Shel’s Link Blog. Shel has started a metaverse-focused Flipboard magazine. You can catch up with both co-hosts on Neville’s blog and Shel’s blog. Neville’s Asides blog is also available.
Links from this episode:
- Is Social Media Dying? What That Could Mean for Marketers
- Personalized A.I. Agents Are Here. Is the World Ready for Them?
- Twitter’s decentralized offshoot Bluesky now has 2 million users
- Global State of the Media Report from Cision (PDF)
- HBO Chief Casey Bloys Concedes Fake Twitter Accounts Were a “Very Dumb Idea”
- The Hand That Controls the Sock Puppet Could Get Slapped (Published 2007)
Links from Dan York’s Report
- How 13 news publishers are using WhatsApp Channels
- WhatsApp Privacy Checkup: Know the features and how to use it
- WhatsApp releases new security features to protect users’ IP addresses
- WhatsApp is adding a new way to voice chat with large groups
- WhatsApp Adds New Audio Chat Option for Groups
- Mark Zuckerberg Taps the Strengths of WhatsApp
- Mark Zuckerberg says WhatsApp is the ‘next chapter’ for Meta and could become a bedrock for business messaging
- Tumblr is betting big on going small
- Tumblr is downscaling after failing to ‘turn around’ the site
- ‘Hallucinate’ chosen as Cambridge dictionary’s word of the year
- Hallucinate is Cambridge Dictionary AI-inspired word of 2023