Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:36:38 — 39.6MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Email | RSS | More
Welcome to episode #15 of For Immediate Release. This week’s panel includes digital communications consultant Chris Abraham, Thornley-Fallis Communications CEO and Inside PR co-host Joseph Thornley, and marketing technology specialist and business strategist Lynette Young. In today’s episode, we covered the following topics:
- The U.S. Federal Trade Commission has issued explicit new guidance on native advertising. Will this help or hinder the growth of the category?
- Edelman is closing in on a $1 billion year as it wraps ups its more than year-long restructuring. Does the new structure make sense? Should other agencies follow suit?
- In 2013, Congress passed legislation that effectively ended the ban on Radio Free Europe and Voice of America broadcasting within the U.S., a prohibition that went back to the 1940s. Have PR practitioners benefitted?
- Most organizations don’t recognize the downsides to workplace collaboration. How can communicators help prevent or overcome these issues?
- Share buttons are routine website acourtements, but they can cause significant problems. Do we fix them or ditch them?
- Dan York’s Technology Report covers the malware attack on Hyatt, the introduction of adblocking to ASUS’ default browser, and the war of words between Medium founder Ev Williams and blogging pioneer Dave Winer (including a discussion by the panel)
Connect with our panelists on Twitter at @chrisabraham, @thornley, and @lynetteradio.
Links to the source material for this episode are on Delicious.
Special thanks to Jay Moonah for the opening and closing music.
About this week’s panel
Chris Abraham, digital strategist and technologist, is a leading expert in digital: search engine optimization (SEO), online relationship management (ORM), Internet privacy, and online public relations with a focus on blogger outreach, blogger engagement, and Internet crisis response. He operates his consultancy at Gerris Corp.
A pioneer in online social networks and publishing, with a natural facility for anticipating the next big thing, Chris is an Internet analyst, web strategy consultant and adviser to the industries’ leading firms. He specializes in Web 2.0 technologies, including content syndication, online collaboration, blogging, and consumer generated media.
Joseph Thornley Joseph Thornley is CEO of Thornley Fallis Communications, which comprises several well-known brands:
- Thornley Fallis Communications, a digital engagement and communications consultancy,
- 76design, a digital design and software development studio
- 76engage, an online public participation platform,
- 76insights, an analytics tool focusing on the resonance of social objects and gestures, and
- 76BrandFilms, a video studio.
Joe recognized early the power of social media to change extend and transform our relationships to one another and the institutions in our society. He actively uses social media to explore the evolution of those relationships. Since 2005, he has blogged at ProPr.ca, and is co-host with Gini Dietrich and Martin Waxman of the Inside PR podcast, which, since its launch in March 2006, is now the second longest continuously running public relations podcast. (Shel Holtz’s FIR For Immediate Release podcast is the longest continuously running PR podcast.). He is @thornley on Twitter, thornley10 on YouTube and Joseph Thornley on Google+ and Facebook.
Lynette Young is co-founder and Director of Marketing ClaimWizard, a software-as-a-service workflow management system for the public adjuster industry. She is a marketing technology strategist and published author with focus on digital marketing and implementation services. With over 25 years in technology, 17 of those years in digital marketing, she is well positioned as a “full-stack marketer” giving her a distinct advantage in today’s fast paced business and environment.
Over her professional career, Lynette has worked with clients of all sizes ranging from Google, Twitter, Harlequin Publishing, and American Airlines to HVAC installers, an email marketing service provider, local appliance retailers, other agencies, corporate franchises, and public adjusting firms. Lynette heads up the ClaimWizard digital marketing products and team. She maintains her speaking, mind-mapping, and podcasting activities at Purple Stripe Productions.
Leave a Reply