Should you be adding one or two spaces after a period in a paragraph? The forces aligned behind each approach have been vocal in their beliefs. One side got a boost from new research, but are we buying it? Listen to Shel and guest Terry Fallis discuss the controversy. Also in this week’s episode:
- Vine 2 is on hold indefinitely
- Klout is being consigned to the dust heap of social media history
- The Vitamin Shoppe has set up Instagram accounts for each of its 800 stores
- Carnival Cruise has (gasp!) responded well to a crisis
- Richard Edelman adds fuel to his argument that PR should be the new source of truth
- A study shows communicators continue to struggle with social visual communication
- There has been a lot of voice tech news, summarized for you in this episode
- Dan York looks at the imminent start of Europe’s General Data Protection Rules (GDPR), including WordPress 4.9.6 with GDPR compliance tools
Special thanks to Jay Moonah for the opening and closing music.
You can find the stories from which FIR content is selected at Shel’s Link Blog.
About our guest
Terry Fallis, A thirty-year veteran of the communications agency world, Terry co-founded Thornley Fallis in 1995 and co-created Inside PR, one of the first public relations podcasts, in April 2006. A two-time winner of the Stephen Leacock Medal for Humour, Terry is the award-winning author of six national bestsellers, including his latest novel, One Brother Shy, all published by McClelland & Stewart.
Links from this week’s episode
- Don’t hold your breath for Vine 2 — it’s on hold indefinitely, co-founder says
- Klout, the $200 million website that measured how important you are on social media with one number, is shutting down
- Why The Vitamin Shoppe is launching 800 Instagram accounts
- One space between each sentence, they said. Science just proved them wrong
- A Carnival Cruise Ship Flooded. It Went Viral on Facebook. The Company’s Response Was Brilliant
- Edelman: ‘Weakened Media Means A New Role For PR’
- Consumers demand more visual storytelling—how are communicators responding?
- AI is so important to Google it’s rebranding its research division
- Mobile First Index? Plan for Voice Search
- How brands can keep their identity while using Alexa’s voice
- Alexa’s Customizable Skills Make Echo More Fun
- Microsoft and Amazon Show Off Their Alexa-Cortana Collaboration
- Alexa and Siri Can Hear This Hidden Command. You Can’t.
Links from Dan York’s Tech Report