Josh Bernoff joined host Shel Holtz for a conversation about how brands are addressing gun sales and the NRA in the wake of the February 14 mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. Later in the episode, Sean Williams and Shel had a chat about just how much HR communications will embrace the “post-text world” concept. Other topics on this week’s show include news about enterprise messaging apps, the surprise shutdown of a media company its leaders attributed to the latest Facebook algorithm change, a couple examples of backlash to design changes that ultimately amounted to little, the sudden surge of interest in social networking app Vero, how voice search could put hundreds of brands in peril, and the introduction of an AI-powered chatbot to a banner ad. Dan York’s Tech report looks at automatic captions and chat reply in YouTube Live broadcasts, Facebook’s latest move affecting publishers, the Gutenberg plugin compatibility database, and Dan’s own take on Vero.
Special thanks to Jay Moonah for the opening and closing music.
You can find the stories from which FIR content is selected at Shel’s Link Blog.
About this week’s guests
Josh Bernoff is Chief Troublemaker at WOBS, LLC, blogging daily at Without Bullshit, describing the BS that surrounds us and how we can cut through it with clear, powerful writing. He is the author of “Writing Without Bullshit” from HarperBusiness, which will be released on September 13. Before striking out on his own, Josh spent 20 years at Forrester Research, ultimately as Senior Vice President for Idea Development, developing ideas and analyzing consumers, technology, media, social, and mobile. He c0-authored three books while at Forrester: “Groundswell,” “Empowered,” and “The Mobile Mind Shift.”
Sean Williams is Vice President and Practice Lead, Education and Internal Communications, at True Digital Communications. Before joining True Digital, Sean was the owner of Communication AMMO, Inc. Williams has held executive communication posts at National City Bank, KeyCorp and The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company. He also provides managerial communication training through Face2Face Communication, which he acquired from Joe Williams Communications in 2015. Earlier in his career, Williams was senior consultant for Williams, where he expanded the strategic planning, research, and consulting practices, and led and refined the Face2Face program with companies including First Energy Corp., KeyCorp, the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, Merck, Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Prudential and Lucent, training literally thousands of managers in the innovative and highly rated program. He also is an adjunct professor of Public Relations at Kent State University, and has created graduate classes in PR Measurement/ROI and social media measurement for Kent and another university.
Links from this week’s show:
- Google’s Slack alternative is available starting today
- Microsoft’s Slack competitor might get a free version soon
- LittleThings shuts down, a casualty of Facebook news feed change
- After 2 Years, Has Everyone Finally Chilled Out About the Instagram Logo?
- Despite backlash to the redesign, Snapchat downloads are up
- NRA accuses brands of a ‘shameful display of political and civic cowardice’ as Delta and United cut ties
- Is sticking by the NRA a branding problem? Ask FedEx, Apple and Amazon
- After selling a gun to the Parkland shooter, Dick’s Sporting Goods ends sale of assault rifles
- Boycott frenzy, “discrimination,” and the tyranny of efficiency
- This billionaire wants you to sign up to his social network — and promises no ads
- Meet Vero: Why a billionaire’s Instagram alternative is suddenly so popular
- What Vero’s Surprising Growth Means for Brands
- Why You Shouldn’t Put Your Brand On Vero
- As controversy swirls, social network Vero is closing in on 3 million users
- The Next Big Threat to Consumer Brands (Yes, Amazon’s Behind It)
- Scott Galloway: How Amazon is Dismantling Retail
- Voice shopping may hit $50 billion by 2022 in the U.S. alone
- Amazon Seeks Startups For Alexa Innovations
- The Next Big Thing in HR – A Post-Text World Dominated by Voice and Video
Links from Dan York’s Report:
- YouTube Live gets automatic English captions, live chat replays, and more
- Updates to YouTube Live streaming
- Facebook has decided that separating publishers into their own News Feed is a bad idea
- News Feed FYI: Ending the Explore Feed Test
- Wondering What Vero Is? Here’s A Primer.
- #DeleteVero campaign spawned by concerns over founder’s past
- Social Media Phenomenon Vero Has Russian Employees. Its CEO Says That’s ‘Irrelevant’
- Introducing the Gutenberg Plugin Compatibility Database
- Gutenberg Plugin Compatibility