Here’s a new topic that Sharon Phillips and I have been exploring: employee activists. In this podcast, we defined employee activists as those who vigorously advocate for their companies and leadership to support or oppose a cause or issue.
After learning that Google’s employees sent a petition to their CEO, I recently wrote a blog about employee activists on LinkedIn, which sparked a great conversation. Here are just a few topics we discussed:
- The power of employees’ voice — and why they’re not afraid to use it
- Why employee activists are different than employee ambassadors
- Weber Shandwick’s study on employee activists’ profiles
- Povaddo’s study on the rise of employee activism in the workplace
- How communicators can respond
- And much more.
And we expect the employee activist will only increase. Just imagine those Parkland students entering our workforce in a matter of years. Sharon and I believe this will greatly affect crisis and employee communications. Do you?