On this episode of AMPUP Your Digital Marketing we start a new series focused on podcasting as a marketing tool. First up in the series is Mark Schaefer, co-host of the popular podcast, The Marketing Companion. In this discussion, Mark talks about his tough decision to start a podcast. He shares some guidelines for deciding if a podcast is right for you and your brand and talks about the value of podcasting in a changing digital marketing landscape.
- Your podcast as to be something you love because your audience can tell
- Determine underserved, unmet needs of customer/audience
- Take a holistic perspective when deciding on whether or not to start a podcast and be a content creator
- A lot of the dependable marketing channels are going away so a podcast becomes a new way to connect with your audience
- Podcasting isn’t for everyone and every brand and it can’t be about selling stuff
- Presenting information in a way that is relatable
- Need discipline to be a podcaster:
- Be consistently interesting and bring value
- Allow yourself to absorb content and ideas
- Write them down as you hear or see them
- Schedule time to do your prep work
- Requires a different mindset – thinking like a writer or journalist
- We create content, but content also creates us
- Gaining audience
- Starts with your differentiation, having a unique brand that is distinctive
- Is there even an audience big enough to matter?
- Establish goals for your podcast that will guide your marketing to the audience; backward engineer the podcast based on this
- Just START! You can’t be perfect and won’t ever be, but if you start you can improve and move forward.