Bryan Mattimore is cofounder and ‘chief idea guy’ of the Growth Engine Company, an innovation agency based in Norwalk, CT that helps companies come up with ‘the next big thing’. Before co-founding the Growth Engine Co. in 1999, Bryan was founder and president of the Mattimore Group, an 18-year-old creativity consulting and ideation facilitation company. Bryan recently joined AMP UP Your Social Media’s host Glenn Gaudet to discuss marketing automations solutions on social media.
Bryan discusses tips for connecting big ideas to effective social media campaigns:
- Help people make behavior transformations through appropriate channels.Conventional media isn’t necessarily tuned towards catering to younger generations, and so social media is going to be your key to tapping into behavior-changing impacts for millennials and those other younger generations.
- Start with ‘the big idea’. Social media may be your channel to reaching your customers, but you’ll always have to start with that big idea which may, in turn, reflect in your social media campaign. The idea isn’t always necessarily for social media, but it may have ramifications on social media channels.
- Start with your brand and your target market. Often times coming up with ‘the big idea’ can be overwhelming for creative personnel. Instead, start with the basics, and build from there. Discuss your brand, values, and core target market to get a good grip on where your ideas are headed, and brainstorm ideas around those central focuses.
- Use a variety of techniques. Sometimes coming up with the best idea takes a little bit of creativity, like ‘The Worst Idea’ technique! In this way, have everyone come up with the worst possible idea the can come up with. Then, use facets of those awful ideas to turn bad ideas into good ones. Then, you’re off to a good start on your social media targets.
- It’s important to have cross-functional teams. Your creative team shouldn’t consist of the same three people sitting at a table staring at each other constantly. You’ll get the same ideas constantly, so expand that when you can by including other areas of your brand in the creative process.
Subscribe and get the AMP UP Your Social Media podcast on iTunes or listen below. Tweet about the show using #AUYSM or Tweet at us @AMPUPSocial. AMP UP Your Social Media is a proud member of the FIR Podcast Network.
About Bryan Mattimore
Graduating from Stamford High School in ‘72, Mattimore made his way to Dartmouth College located in Hanover, New Hampshire where he majored in Psychology. Since then, he’s published his book “Idea Stormers, How to Lead and Inspire Creative Breakthroughs,” (Wiley Jossey-Bass, 2012) which includes a wide variety of newly-invented and empirically-validated ideation and innovation processes derived from fifteen years of successful innovation consulting assignments. He is also the author of the bestselling book, “99% Inspiration, A Real World Guide to Business Creativity” selected in 1993 as the American Management Association’s membership offering/book of the year; and the inventor of the creativity training game, Bright Ideas.